1. Advertising – We’re bombarded with images of processed food all day every day. Seeing pictures of chocolate all evening on TV doesn’t help with cravings when you’re trying to diet! When it’s easier and cheaper to go pick up McDonalds than to cook a healthy dinner people start to lose motivation. We’re living in a society where we’re bombarded with images and temptations to consume processed food all day every day, if we were seeing pictures of models running around with apples and cucumber sticks things might be a little bit different! Reality is things aren’t changing anytime soon, in order to succeed with ongoing weight loss we need to inspire enough motivation within ourselves to remain unaffected by our outside environment. Now more than ever, successful weight loss relies on changing your mindset!
2. Cultural Norms – today being overweight is normal. 1 in 3 people are overweight and most of us don’t even realise it because we’re all in the same boat. The truth is that even carrying around an extra few kilos puts stress on our bodies and organs. Go to the gym and pick up a weight that weighs as much as the amount of weight you want to lose… imagine what its doing to your body carrying that weight around all day!
3. Procrastination – ‘oh I’ll start it tomorrow’; ‘Susie has her birthday this weekend, I’ll start after that’; ‘We’ve got a trip to Bali this month, we’ll start after that’… we’ve all heard these before. Unfortunately the truth is there is never a good time to start a meal plan. There will always be something that makes it inconvenient… trust me I’ve worked in weight loss for long enough! If you really want to lose weight, you have to be prepared to prioritise it over other things; you have to believe that trade-off is better than the inconvenience… If you’re prepared to make sacrifices that’s when you’ll succeed.
4. Denial – Some of us just don’t want to admit that we’re actually as overweight as we are. We know our clothes are getting tight and that we haven’t squeezed into our skinny jeans in a while, but we have just put them in the back of the closet and pretended they don’t exist. We make up excuses like ‘I’m just big boned’ or ‘I’ve got a slow metabolism’… but lets just admit it, we’ve gained weight and we’re in denial. I suggest going and getting a body scan done and see what your fat percentage is… the numbers won’t lie and then you’re in a position to face the facts and address any health concerns.
5. You don’t have a food plan – Without a clear food plan to follow we often let things slip in without taking mental note and realizing what we’re doing. Then we don’t get the results we’re looking for and we wonder why, throw our hands up in the air and say it’s not working and give up before we’ve really given it a chance. For example, I have had clients who were drinking lots of coconut water and fruity teas without realizing how much sugar was in them… it was obvious to me why their weight loss had plateaued but they had no clue! Unless you have a plan and know what you’re doing you could just end up like a dog chasing its tail around. I suggest seeing a nutritionist and getting a proper plan that you know will work.
6. Accountability – lets just face it, we’ve all tried to lose weight before and made promises to ourselves that me haven’t kept. Ever said something like ‘I’ll start my diet tomorrow’ and then tomorrow comes and it never happens? This is where accountability is key. If you’ve got someone to keep you on your toes, or someone whose going to check in and make sure you followed through, chances are you’re way more likely to follow through, FACT! I think everyone should have a weight loss coach, the statistics clearly show that we’re more successful when we have accountability. If you can’t get a coach I recommend putting up a post on your Facebook page and chronicling your weight loss, that will definitely add some social accountability!
7. You’re living in the past – You’ve failed before so you’ll fail again syndrome! I’ve heard so many clients say – oh I’ve tried everything, nothing works, so there’s no point. I say Bulls***!! You obviously haven’t tried everything if you haven’t found something that works! How long are you going to let yourself keep living in the past. One thing I know for sure is that if you don’t try at all and keep doing the same thing you’re defiantly going to get the same results you always have which is none! Don’t let the past dictate your future. You can try to lose weight 100 times and not get anywhere, but all you have to do is succeed once and boom – you’ve got the results you’re looking for, so NEVER EVER give up! YOU CAN DO IT!
If you want to lose weight with the help of a nutritionist on a weight loss program, contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0413374508 to find out more. https://www.facebook.com/CamillaBibbyNutrition